Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Surreality (part 2)

(continued from last post).

“Are you referring to the corrosive substance that was accompanying the “dreaded substance” in that nearly fatal chemical bath we saved you from?” The middle alien asked with a terribly puzzled while also somewhat concerned and slightly proud tone. The aliens question surprised me to the extent that I temporarily lost speech function making me look as if I were a fish lying on the deck of a boat gasping for air. For you see the realization of the exact composition of the “dreaded substance” had hit me like a fully loaded tractor-trailer sliding down Mount Everest. “Your “dreaded substance” is water?” I asked incredulously. “Yes I believe that is what the people of your planet have labeled “the dreaded substance”.” The middle alien stated with a nod after a slight pause. Upon the aliens confirmation of my inquiry my shocked disbelief returned resulting in a sizeable, not to mention, gauche silence.
Unexpectedly the end to our capacious awkwardness was derived from the near subzero temperatures my left foot had achieved not to mention the lovely purple color it had claimed as it’s new pigmentation. Noting this I asked, with my index finger held up partially, “considering you destroyed my wet clothes could you kindly provide me with new clothes, and perhaps thaw out my foot as well?” When the aliens nodded in an affirmative, I then added one more, quick request; “also could you possibly return me to my domicile?” the aliens bowed deeply, an action I was beginning to associate with guilt and negative responses, and then informed me that they had barely been able to save me and make their escape before the Draconian quarantine order was put into effect, and that returning me to Earth would be quite impossible.

No comments: